Builders Exchange of Michigan: How did Next Chapter Construction get its name?
Jeremy Neybert: When Next Chapter Construction was created, we knew this company was bigger than any one person, so the typical “Insert Last Name” Construction Company was thrown out. Then we decided what our mission was going to be, which is to change the building industry. From there we said if we are going to change the industry, we are essentially helping to script the next chapter of construction as a whole.
After coming to that conclusion, we were able to create correlations to everyone that is involved.
- Anytime you are building or renovating something, you are helping to write the next chapter of that owner’s story.
- Employee development is huge for us, through that we are helping to sculpt the next chapter of their lives and careers.
- Amazing vendor relationships are key to being successful in this industry. Through leading, managing, and holding them accountable, we scripting the next chapter of their businesses.
We are a unique business with a unique name, which is focused on the intention of helping everyone write the next chapter in their story.
BX: What does Next Chapter Construction specialize in?
JN: Next Chapter Construction (NCC) specializes in providing true, turn-key labor and material solutions for general contractors, developers, and owners.
We do this across five main scopes, focusing on the multifamily, assisted living facilities, and commercial markets. Our five main scopes include:
- Rough Carpentry
- Finish Carpentry
BX: What are NCC’s long term goals?
JN: TOur greatest goal is to impact the world by changing the building industry. We feel like we will accomplish that by growing into a large company that stays laser-focused on innovation, quality work, training, and simply doing what we say we are going to do.
We also want to give back to the community, which is why we offer employees paid time off to volunteer their time to non-profits. We’ve created an educational fund for our team members to get additional training through workshops or going back to college. We have an amazing workplace culture that is not based on ego. We work extremely hard and we make sure we’re having fun while working.
BX: What core values make NCC successful?
JN: LOur core values are more than just some fancy words up on a poster. We hire, fire, and evaluate our clients and vendors through these values:
- Work hard, play hard: Working diligently to exceed expectations, but making sure we are having fun throughout the entire process.
- Build it like it’s yours: We must approach each project as if it were our own.
- Integrity: Doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.
- Team > ME: We are stronger, faster, and better as a team compared to an individual effort. We lay down self-interest for the betterment of the team as a whole.
- Hustle: Have the courage, confidence, self-belief, and determination to go out and grind until you find the opportunities and solutions you want in life.
BX: What is NCC’s biggest strength?
JN: We are who we are, and we are not afraid to adapt/change as needs arise in this crazy business environment.
BX: What’s one thing your company gets praised for the most?
JN: Being willing to change, evolve, and innovate, rather than accepting the status quo. Going hand in hand with our biggest strength, we are able to find better ways to solve decades-old problems.
BX:What has been the biggest challenge you’ve overcome, and how did you do it?
JN: In our early stages, we locked in a large multifamily rehab contract, which we thought was going to be a great financial launching pad for our company. Thanks to COVID-19, a project we thought was going to start was delayed for more than six months.
Even though we had already invested in infrastructure upgrades based on the contract, like technology and key people, we made it work. We got support from our trusted material vendors, adapted to take on smaller projects that provided quicker cash flow, and cut any unnecessary expenses.
What would have sunk most new businesses has given us opportunities we never thought were possible.
BX: How has being a member of the Builders Exchange of Michigan impacted your business?
JN: Through our research of all the lead source options out there, we feel like there is no better platform. The ability to aggregate a ton of information in one convenient and easy to use place has been remarkable.
On top of that, you’re not dealing with some tech company that doesn’t understand the industry or the market and is based out in California. There are real people you can talk to that actually care about understanding what you truly need so that they can provide benefits to your business.
Think we should get to know you and your company better? Contact us to find out how you can be featured!